Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Sister Bailey Jayne Love January 13, 2015

Querida Familia y Amigos!

Gotta love Google Translate... That is probably all wrong. We have taught 3 Hispanic families this past week and I'm so sad that the gift of tongues doesn't always work immediately.. but we will get there!

This week was a really good one filled with tender mercies.. and disappointments.. as usual missionary work is never one smooth sailing journey. 

We are working with some amazing people right now that haven't made the decision to fully commit to living this Gospel yet. It's so hard to see them in so much pain and so much in need of the Savior's healing atonement, but God has given us agency for a reason. It really makes me grateful that I was raised going to church.. It might be hard being a part of the church, but from what I have seen I can promise you that it is a lot harder out of it. 

There is some REALLY exciting news we just got word of today. about 45 minutes west of me is the Marion Branch. It is the oldest branch in the history of the church and we have just received word that it is becoming a ward!! Elder L. Tom Perry's first area on his mission was Marion so of course he is coming to see this happen!! In honor of this exciting news President Daines sent us all a story of Elder Perry's first experiences as a missionary in Ohio. 

“I was assigned to serve in Columbus, Ohio, just after I had arrived in the mission field. I knew absolutely nothing about missionary work and my senior companion, who had been out only three months, knew little more than I did. I had always been strong in the Church, and though my testimony had never been tested, I surely thought that it could never waiver.

“Well, my first full day of proselyting was spent going from house to house. We didn’t have much success until a kind Southern Baptist lady invited us into her home. She had a profound knowledge of the scriptures, and I’m afraid that my companion and I could not counter her persuasive arguments. I went home that day a converted Southern Baptist.

“The following day was not much better. I went home a converted Methodist. And the next day I was swayed toward the Lutheran faith. I finally decided that this kind of thing should not be happening to a Mormon missionary. I decided that before I could teach and bear testimony about the gospel it was first necessary that I know something about it myself.

“My companion and I lived on the top floor of a four-story rooming house. The landlady had granted us the privilege of using the kitchen, which was in the basement. I decided that each night I would go down to the kitchen after my companion had retired to bed and prepare a talk, beginning with the first four principles and ordinances of the gospel.

“The first night I studied and prepared a talk on faith that I presented to my audience: a mouse that I had coaxed out of his hole with a cracker. He stared at me for a minute, picked up the cracker, and went back into his hole.
“The following night the subject was repentance. The mouse came out and listened to me for some time longer than the night before, and then returned to his hole. I was making progress.

“The third night I came down and filled the dishpan with water and washed some dishes before I prepared my talk on baptism. Again, my friend the mouse came out of his hole to hear my presentation. He stood there and stared at me the whole time, and when I was finally finished he walked back to his hole in deep thought. I was a bit proud of myself as I walked upstairs, knowing I had really impressed my audience.

“The next morning my companion and I went downstairs to prepare breakfast and I noticed that I had not emptied the dishpan of water I had used the night before. I was greatly surprised when, at the bottom of the pan, I found my friend, the mouse. My little talk had really made an impression. In his stupor of thought he must have crawled into the pan: baptism by immersion!”

I love you all!! Have a fantastic week! 
Love,

Sister Love


No comments:

Post a Comment